Monthly Archives: June 2012
Tribune article that notes mayor stating new hospital site option could be along 140 and Ridge. Right in Cooks Mills
Welland’s 1812 Bicentennial Committee currently has five projects underway or in the planning stages:
· Spring, 2012 – City flower bed commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812 designed by City of Welland Parks Department
· Living Witnesses – identifying and placing a plaque on trees in the Cook’s Mills’ area that are 200 years or older.
· Peace Garden – designed by Darren Schmahl of the Niagara Parks Commission and located in Cook’s Mills, this will incorporate native plant species, seating, a welcome sign, signs identifying plants and flowers, British, United States and Canadian flags and interpretive signs identifying significant historical actions that took place during the Battle. This Peace Garden will become part of the Bi-National 1812 Art of the Peace Garden Trail. Scheduled to be dedicated in 2013.
· School Debate: “Who Won the War of 1812?” Preparing materials for a debate and circulating to local schools.
· Re-enactment of the Battle of Cook’s Mills, planned for the fall of 2014 near the 200th anniversary date of the Battle.
Please note that Heritage Welland 1812 Bicentennial Committee and the Welland Historical Museum is SEEKING INPUT on the 1812 projects planned to commemorate Cook’s Mills. They WANT to hear what you think about the Peace Garden and other projects.
They have sent out invites to all Cook’s Mills residents but it has been noted that not all may have received them. Please pass this information along so we can get a good turn out at the meeting.
They Cordially invite all residents of Cook’s Mills to a Public Information Meeting regarding the 1812 Committee projects commemorating the Battle of Cook’s Mills.
Saturday June 2nd, 2012 at 1:00 pm
Welland Historical Museum
140 King Street, Welland (former public library)
Followed at 2:00 pm by the Granding Opening of the Welland Historical Museum’s 1812 Exhibit
“The Battle of Cook’s Mills – Lives Remembered”
Please RSVP to email@example.com
Feel free to join their information group